Termites are destructive creatures and cause homeowners a number of headaches. After an infestation hits your house, you may be facing expensive repairs. In six months, termites can destroy an entire property. To guard against problems, it is important to understand a few ways to protect your home and why it is helpful to consult with a professional pest control company.
1. Inspect Your Air Conditioning Unit. Termites love moisture. If your A/C unit has a leak, it will create a puddle that will attract these creatures. To avoid problems, it is vital to make sure that all tubes are free of cracks and that the moisture release is pointed away from your home's foundation.
2. Proper Storage. Your attic may be stuffed with old books, magazines, and photos. Paper is a prime food source for termites. To keep these creatures from ruining you memories or destroying your property, it is best to store these types of items in sealed tubs.
3. Address Cracks. Termites are able to squeeze into extremely tight crevices. It is essential to inspect the seals around your doors and windows and to fill any openings.
4. Avoid Wood Piles. When the weather gets cool, you may use a wood-burning stove to take the chill out of the air. If you have wood piled near you home, it is smart to move it away from your foundation.
5. Use Proper Gardening Techniques. Termites may use your yard or garden as a playground. If you have old stumps in your yard, it is advised to have them removed. Termites will feast on the wood. Also, if your landscape is filled with wood-chipped mulch, it is wise to use an alternative material. Wood retains moisture, which will attract termites. Better options include mulch made from plastic, rubber, or rock.
Although it may be difficult to detect a termite infestation before a severe problem begins, here are the most common signs that may indicate an issue.
Since termite damage is often severe, it is smart to prevent a problem or to catch an issue early. A professional pest control company will use proper equipment to inspect your property. These experts know where termites lurk and fully comprehend the signs of an infestation. They will quickly get to the source of the problem and recommend the most effective treatment method.
At Skyline Pest Solutions, we proudly serve Atlanta and the surrounding areas. We offer the Senticon System with Always Active technology, which has the ability to eliminate an entire colony of creatures. The best part is that this system provides little disruption so that hassles are kept to a minimum. For more information or to schedule a consultation for any type of pest management, call us at 770-872-4200.